Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Jigga the ad giant?

Read first: http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6636

Ok, so we all know my man Jay can sell just about anything. It can also be said that Jay has been a connoisseur of cool his entire career.

For example...
"Don't wear jerseys, i'm thirty plus/give me a fresh pair jeans, nigga button ups"

After "Change Clothes" dropped every b-boy including myself, had the extensive arsenal of button ups in the closet, not to mention throwbacks went extinct and baggy jeans made a killing at every nearby Salvation Army a dudes went for the more grown man look.

There is no denying Jay's influence on how our generation sees itself. Often, our generation is criticized as being unoriginal -- borrowing ideas from past generations to create a style that never really is our own i.e. the recent 80's fashion comeback (vans, hoodies with the crazy graphics, and black kids rocking skateboards). Whether or not you agree with that last bit is beside the point. I have but one question for all...Should we trust Jay-Z on every product he endorses? Eazy Reyonolds, I know this is ya boy, but he can't be right all the time can he? Bud is one thing, but suppose he decides to become brand director for Russell Athletics and has every nigga from Brooklyn to Atlanta wearing some fucking spandex leggings to under our linen shorts (Ok, that was extreme but you get my point). Get at me people!

-Will Write 4 Food

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

who can possibly understand this whack shit?

Wordsworth the IV said...

Jay is my boy but I feel you on it. He had to promote the album though. Music marketing is changing.