Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Not Wal E, Not Whale, I am WALE: Genius at Work


Wale bomaye! Wale bomaye! yea, I might have flipped the script on the chant, but it is more than appropriate when referring to this man. Wale is not only taking the game by storm, but taking heed to the words spoken by 60,000 African fight fans, as they encouraged Muhammed Ali to kill George Foreman. The man hailing from D.C. is literally killing the game with devastating metaphorical jabs, and lethal rhyme patterns, that not only float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, but will leave you nodding your head, down for a 10 count, and quickly becoming his biggest fan.

When I first saw a pair of Nike Boots, I didn't like them. When I heard Wale's song about the shoe D.C. helped make hot, I didn't like that either. I'm just glad my dislike for one track, did not cause me to sleep on the man who "reps for the people that rep hip-hop". We all saw him on XXL's top 10 freshmen list, but I would argue he is the cream of the crop. Yes, right NOW, I put Wale over Asher, Kudi, and even my man Blu. Wale is the personification of consistency, and creativity, while simultaneously experimenting with what it means to be authentic. It's real cool to be different right now. Rappers sing, and Singers rap, and I can appreciate that. But Wale experiments with what it means to stay in his lane. He does what he does best, he spits. He spits about personal growth, He spits about his Nigerian heritage, and yes at times he even spits about Nike's. He tries to be nothing more and nothing less than what he already is, which has put him on the path to become something great, a master of his craft.

Wale is not your typical rapper in the '09, If you don't get what I mean allow me to break it down for you. When someone tells me their a rapper, I usually assume that means they actually work at target or groom dogs, which is only a "side hustle" until their career pop's off. I say that to say this, there are too many rappers these days. My Grand Pappy even raps now. He's 80, he's terrible, but he is signed to Def Jam and dropping next month. According to Jay he is like the Soulja Boy of the 75 and over demographic. While currently there are too many rappers, Wale represents the last of a dying breed...the MC.

What defines an MC? they are the masters of ceremonies, the guys that can not only move the crowd, but also drop knowledge that will resonate in your mind and soul.If you haven't found someone to get behind like that for the '09 ladies and gentlemen, look no further than Wale. Listen to "100 Miles and Running", and you will be running to tell your friends about one of the best mixtapes of the year, and don't even get me started on the rap and Seinfeld fusion, yea that's right, SEINFELD that spawned "The Mixtape About Nothing". I could spend all day reciting lines to prove to you how nasty Wale is when putting pen to pad, but if I did that before you heard it on your own, it would be like telling you what's sits in the boxes under the Christmas tree before you get a chance to open them. Music is not only supposed to be shared, it is supposed to be discovered. hit up his myspace, download for free, and discover it for yourself. you will be happy that you did.

No comments: