Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dikembe Mutombo: Paying Respect Where It's Due



This ain't got a damn thing to do with music, but I think it needs to be said. For those who don't know, NBA player (former all-star) and all-time great humanitarian Dikembe Mutumbo got hurt in a playoff game against the Portland Trail Blazers last night. The injury looks pretty bad, and sadly looks to be the end to a career that for all intents and purposes should have ended a long time ago. In his defense, Dikembe was still playing not because he was still leading the league in blocks at his ripe old age of 40 plus, but because he truly loved what he was doing. You add his passion for the sport to the AMAZING work his has done in the Congo, and he makes all these other athletes look like spoiled prima donna's, who are truly undeserving of the respect and admiration they receive. On a personal note, I got " Mount Mutombo's" autograph at Macy's in Lenox Mall back when he first came to the Hawks. Dude was buying his son some draws or something. I was like "that looks like Dikembe Mutombo!"...F your son and this uber personal and slightly awkward moment you are signing something for ya boy. He can get whitey tidy's any time, I don't meet NBA all-stars everyday. I got some paper from a cashier, and the large African giant signed my paper with a smile on his face. That smile quickly disappeared when I returned with three other people (female Macy's employees) who were too scared to ask for his autograph on their own. He was like " I sign for him already, I sign for your son!". I was like "chill 55, and take that base out of your voice when you speak to me". Well maybe I didn't say that exactly, but as I get older the story evolves. By time I'm 50, it will probably end with me donkey punching Mutombo into a Tommy Hilfiger display, then taking his place on the Hawks that night; Notching a quadruple double off the bench, and monkey poking a vicious two handed, reverse, 360, between the legs, wind mill slam all up in Karl Malone's grill. Needless to say it was a memorable experience, and I am sure I am not the only one with a good story to tell about one of the games all time great guys. Shout out to the big fella

No comments: