Friday, April 24, 2009

SMKA interview on AREA84


"SMKA was formed in August 2008 and is composed of Atlanta native producer Blake “808 Blake” German, guitar player/engineer/producer Kyle “7King” King, and business manager Mike Walbert.

How is the SMKA crew today? This week? This month? This year?
I’m doing lovely actually, I mean there’s always some bull shit to deal with, but for the most part I am enjoying every second I have.

Wanna give a shoutout? Give some recognition?
Uh, I guess I’ll shout out the homies Motion Family for the Vid, and all my dudes from the A…Also want everyone to be on the lookout for new projects from A. Leon Craft and Young T.R.I.M.M.

What does the acronym “SMKA” represent?
If I told ya I’d have to Kill ya haha nah Super Market Knife Attack (Don’t ask me Why just go w/ it).

Each production team has their trademark “sound” how would you describe yours collectively?
As far as a trademark i guess It would be that hard hitting 808, but I also don’t believe in doing just one type of sound my goal is to be able to flow through different genres of music, so the more you can’t tell it’s our production the better.

Let’s talk about some of the featured artists in your latest release. How do the following fit into your overall flow?
These artist each represent a crazy sense of creativeness, which allows us to push the envelope with our sound, working with each of them is exciting because they all share an open mind from a musical standpoint.

What does your crown and serpent symbol represent?
The Crown is part of the 7King Mystique or whatever and the “serpent” well Myself, Kyle and Mike all went to high school together and our mascot was a python haha…sorry we didn’t really get to deep on that one .

Explain to us “The 808 experience…-ence…-ence”.
Basically amoeba music is our ability to not be clearly defined in one sound (Science lesson: An amoeba is a shapeless organism) I mean like I talked about earlier it’s not being pigeon held in one genre rather the ability to experiment with all types of sounds. For instance I have been heavy into making alot of alternative and somewhat punk beats as of late, which is a clear difference from the beats used on the 808 Experiment.
In an interview with Roll Out, they highlighted the phrase “amoeba music” can you indulge us with the meaning of that phrase?

We are looking at your video “Caddy’s”. Tells the readers what were you trying to do with the sound in this joint? What are you trying to envoke?
I mean Caddy’s is basically meant for you to be riding on top of your old chevy impala and just lose it. This song took me back to high school when you basically don’t really give a fuck and everyone is outside partying and stunting in there old ass cars. Its kinda like ode to my southern roots i guess.

In ten years where do you see yourselves?
10 years from now shit I hope to have blurred the lines between what is considered hip hop …. as well as revolutionize a new sound using robots and shit haha.

Random: Do you guys ever take a vacation?
I mean at this point in my career I can’t really afford to take a vacation because there is always someone working."

FOR THE FULL INTERVIEW CLICK HERE

No comments: