Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Duality of the Thug Mentality

I feel like the last time I posted something on here it was of a fairly serious nature, there are other topics I've wanted to write about, but once again I feel compelled to speak my mind. Although HipHop has had a positive impact on the lives of many one of its obvious downsides is the glorification of violence and the "thug" lifestyle. With the recent murder of a close family friend still heavy on my heart I began thinking, and some how my thoughts have found there way to this blog. I'm in college...supposedly. I say supposedly because often times I find myself sorrounded by people who attend my university attempting to present themselves as "thugs". Usually while reciting the lyrics of Young Jeezy, Gucci Mane, or another southern gangster rapper. People are funny that way. Often times the people with the most opportunities try to downplay whatever blessings they recieve so as not to appear stuck up. Being poor isnt fun, being a thug isnt fun. People who are forced to be in those situations would get out of it in a heart beat if they felt they could. I wonder why HipHop in some cases has become a detriment to the very people it is supposed to help.

Is it possible hiphop artists have become walking contradictions? Snoop for instance. How many of you remember his last single with B-Real, in which he brought Mexican American and African Americans together in hopes of easing some of the racial tension in L.A.. Upon first hearing about this video I was like FINALLY someone gets it. If you really don't want to sell out and keep it real, then portray the duality that lives in all of us. You're not always thuggin, and your favorite thing in the world is not bagging crack, while eating cornflakes in the morning, followed by an afternoon shooting. Snoop let me down as the song only talked about going to his trunk, loading his gun and killing people...Way to uplift the community. Let snoop uplift you through gunfire here

I dont even know if I make sense right now. I guess my point is NO ONE wants to live that way. We all have to play with the cards we are dealt, and often times some decks have far less cards than others limiting the hand they can possiblyhave. Two men whom I knew personally were murdered this past week. One of the two since his teen years had been locked up more than he had been on the outside. What kind of life is that? He truly was not a bad person and will be missed by many. Many assume all "gangsters" are horrible people, fact is they aren't. Everyone is someones friend, son, daughter, or sibling. Rappers need to portray that side of themselves more often. the dollars they may give to a local charity does not equal the negative impact they have on how many young people interact with the world around them in a negative way. Portraying a thug alpha male lifestyle that truly is not who they are, but what is popular at the time. The greatest gift we all have is to be who we truly are. I fear many rap fans will not do that until hiphop makes it okay to be yourself again.

3 comments:

mr.buttercups said...

enjoyed reading this, i couldn't agree more.

stylings of glo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stylings of glo said...

damn man. i'm sorry for your loss and appreciate your candid blog entry. your point is well taken: the glorification of violence of hip hop isn't all fun and games and needs to be taken extremely seriously. at what point is 'keeping it real' the fakest part of a rappers repertoire? and more importantly, what are the costs to average listeners and the artists themselves?