Wednesday, February 21, 2007

As Good As It Gets

As a lover of hip-hop, I have listened to thousands of rap verses. Certain rappers, especially, Andre 3000, 2pac, Common, have spit verses that have made me sit and think about what they just said. These are the verses that you listen to over and over again... the verses that uplift you and remind you of your life: past, present, and future. With that said, I think there is a verse out there that I believe is the closest thing to pure, English class poetry. This verse, given to us by Pretty Flaco a.k.a Mos Def on "Thieves in the Night", is the single most beautiful 2 minutes of rap I've ever heard.

Yo, I'm sure that everbody out listenin agree
That everything you see ain't really how it be
A lot of jokers out runnin in place, chasin the style
Be a lot goin on beneath the empty smile
Most cats in my area be lovin the hysteria
Synthesized surface conceals the interior
America, land of opportunity, mirages and camoflauges
More than usually -- speakin loudly, sayin nothin
You confusin me, you losin me
Your game is twisted, want me enlisted -- in your usary
Foolishly, most men join the ranks cluelessly
Buffoonishly accept the deception, believe the perception
Reflection rarely seen across the surface of the lookin glass
Walkin the street, wonderin who they be lookin past
Lookin gassed with them imported designer shades on
Stars shine bright, but the light -- rarely stays on
Same song, just remixed, different arrangement
Put you on a yacht but they won't call it a slaveship
Strangeness, you don't control this, you barely hold this
Screamin brand new, when they just sanitized the old shit
Suppose it's, just another clever Jedi mind trick
That they been runnin across stars through all the time with
I find it's distressin, there's never no in-between
We either niggaz or Kings. We either bitches or Queens
The deadly ritual seems immersed, in the perverse
Full of short attention spans, short tempers, and short skirts
Long barrel automatics released in short bursts
The length of black life is treated with short worth
Get yours first, them other niggaz secondary
That type of illin that be fillin up the cemetary
This life is temporary but the soul is eternal
Separate the real from the lie, let me learn you
Not strong, only aggressive, cause the power ain't directed
That's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Not free, we only licensed
Not live, we just excitin
Cause the captors.. own the masters.. to what we writin
Not compassionate, only polite, we well trained
Our sincerity's rehearsed in stage, it's just a game
Not good, but well behaved cause the ca-me-ra survey
most of the things that we think, do, or say
We chasin after death just to call ourselves brave
But everyday, next man meet with the grave
I give a damn if any fam' recall my legacy
I'm tryin to live life in the sight of God's memory
Like that y'all

That's beyond rap. That's prose. That's a Ph.D. dissertation. That is a complete critique of Black culture in 1 minute and 53 seconds. That's beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

heat rocks... but for eel that shit is crazy, thats why I love hip-hop. DEF poetry jam.

stylings of glo said...

Malcolm would definitely be down

Unknown said...

i've never lost the passion 2 go platinum...