Saturday, February 3, 2007

Favorite Hip-Hop CD's of 2006?

Is it too late to look over the past year and the CD's that came out?...no, or at least i hope not. 2006 was a great year, at least for me it was, and during that time some new music came out, some of which was good and some was not so much.

I am going to make a list of the top 5 Hip-Hop CD's of 2006. Not necessarily in order, these are my picks.

1) Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere (its hard to put this CD in a genre, but to me those are the best kind of CD's. Cee-lo, my good friend, and danger mouse connect in an ATL fashion to create some pretty diverse and fantastic music. Even if you don't like rap or hip-hop, you will still like this album, it has a universal sound that reaches out to so many different kinds of people...like Jeff Holtz)

2) The Roots - Game Theory (The Roots to me can't really go wronge, or at least they haven't yet. With questlove at the wheel and Black Thought on the mic, The Roots are possibly the best group in hip-hop not only currently, but of all time)

3) Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor (This CD took a few listens to grow on me, but this CD has now made its way to the top of my play list. The production is great and Lupe manages to incorperate a marvulous combo of Andre-esque type of cleaver and entertaining rhymes.)

4) Nas - Hip-Hop is Dead (A controversial album title that has sparked some debate, but beyond that Nas comes correct. Some songs are better then others, but the CD as a whole is well put together. If Nas and Jay-Z were still arguing about who wears the crown all Nas would have to do is compare Kingdom Come to Hip-Hop is Dead, and that would be that)

5) T.I. - King (Ok, So I don't like anyone claiming they are the "king" of rap...In a world that still has Andre 3000. But once I got past that, T.I. came out with the best southern CD of the year, and until Andre decides to rap agian T.I. can talk all the smack he want. This CD is pretty nice from front to back...well played T.I. who if you ever see, is one of the crunckest MOFO's in concert)

Well thats my take on it...Disagree? think i left some CD's out? or hate everything about what I said? let me know in the comments.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you know way more about the hiphop than I, but would have to agree. I went out and made sure I had all five of those I my iPod for good listening. Thanks for the opinion.

Anonymous said...

Yo son you forgot the albums that were less publicized. For example AZ's "The Format", Cunninlynguists "A Piece of Strange", How can we forget that Mos Def's last release "True Magic" came out right at the end of '06. You also left out my man Ghostface and his "FishScale" project.
But enough of that we need to discuss the BIGGEST let downs of '06 I would have to say for me the clipse long anticipated album "Hell Hath No Fury". yes there are tracks I like but overall it was nothing compared to their last release. the most glaring flaw in the project and I never thought I would say this, was Skate Board P's production. I know he and the clipse whole thing is they are on some thugged out type message and lyrics laced over crazy beats one would never think of using in that style of rap, but even for me one who appreciates artists who like to differentiate themselves from the norm this was even a lil too far out there. took away from the clipse rhymes which in my opinion are some of the hardest.
Oh yea and Little Brother split up...and when i say split up I mean 9th isn't doin beats for them anymore. I dont even want to comment on this really...haha hurts too bad. just make sure all y'all are on myspace on feb. 13 so u can download the new Mix tape "And Justus For All". You can get it off their artist page for free thats right for the FREE FREE! some tracks I already heard are amazing as usual. New version of "let it go" originally off the DJ DRAMA mixtape "seperate but equal", this time with Talib on the track. this is the last release by the group that will feature production by 9th. After that "Get Back" their 3rd album which for all I know may not even come out cuz they arent releasin it on Atlantic and don't know where they will DOES NOT have production by 9th at all or very little. But props to them for releasing the mix tape for free just to get it out for the fans. A perfect example of why this trio will be missed in hip hop. Long Live Little Brother!

stylings of glo said...

i got two, one has been said already. fishscale is dope, although i just started playing it, its def at the top of my hip-hop 2006 list.

more importantly, my favorite hip-hop album of 2006, by a long shot, didn't make my boi mikey's list. Tha Carter II, by none other than the f baby Lil Wayne. No album spit like a flamethrower, bounced like a fat booty, and felt as true as Tha Carter II this past year. It could be one of my favorite albums of the last few years even. So i just had to shout out to my boi, lil weezy for throwin it down.

mr.buttercups said...

carter 2 came out in 2005, dumb ass.

Unknown said...

Love it Mr. Buttercups. Love it. I find it hard to take issue with your five picks. I might change the order personally, (and consider the Fishscale album in place of Nas) but overall very solid. I was especially pleased to see Lupe Fiasco made your list. This album also took a couple of listens to grow on me. I think part of the problem is that most of Lupe's songs lack the memorable hook of say, a Kanye track, but the lyrics are absolutely tops.
The T.I. album was very solid and certainly a cut above a lot of albums out there (cough, Yung Joc, cough.) At the very least, a lot of fun to listen to.
Tha Carter II is just barely 2005, but if it had been counted as '06, it would have had to get some consideration for this list.
-ChaBillionaire