Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Hip Hop Ain't Dead It's just Hibernating

Nas, countless others, and even myself at times have claimed that hip-hop as we know it is dead. I think I may have even uttered the words as recently as 3 or 4 days ago. Fact of the matter is, as much as I yearn for the days of groups like A Tribe Called Quest, Leaders of the New School, or Brand Nubian there are still cats out there grinding and scraping expressing their interactoin with the world through the vessel we call hip-hop.
My outlook has changed cuz for some reason while listening to cuts off the new Mos Def album, "perfect timing" to be exact, it made me go back and listen to some LoneCatalysts, J-Live, Main Source and even some Teriyaki Boyz who I know my man mike has on love for. I was reminded of being a kid 9, 10, 11 years old staying up late at night, boom box by my bed makin my own mix tapes from the late night underground radio shows in Atlanta. The feeling of being up late at night hearing insightful lyrics with crazy word play. I couldn't help but feel like I was the only one in the world listening to that song, at that exact moment. Thats what hip-hop means to me. finding the new group, new artist no one in your cirlce as heard of and possibly never will. Finding music that is not necessarily run of the mill top 40, but nonetheless meaningful to you on a personal level. The old school term DIGGIN IN THE CRATES, has never applied more than it does today. So if you really love the art form quit crying about the state of rap, and find your group, your artist, your sound and support them. Hip-Hop ain't dead it's just hibernating...And it won't wake up until it's so called fans stop being lazy.

2 comments:

mr.buttercups said...

no more blogs allowed on Hip-hop being dead or anything else like that....

mr.buttercups said...

but its actually really good.