Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My dream track just happened

DJ premier. Rakim. Nas. KRS One. Kanye. That sounds like part of a list of the most important actors in hip-hop history. But actually it's a collaboration that I just heard while I was doing some situps at the lovely USC gym. My jaw dropped like a dog panting as the MC's rotated.

My biggest thought during this video is, damn I cannot WAIT for Rakim's new album The Seventh Seal. And hopefully Primo's presence on this track (in vintage Primo form, by the way) means that we will see those two often on the album. He's also said that Timbaland will be on it, and I would expect Dre to contribute at least one track since it was originally slated as "Oh My God," a collab between Dre and Rakim.

Also I question Kanye deserving to be on this track amongst such hip-hop giants. I would have understood if he produced it, but honestly, Kanye just can't hold it down like Rakim or Nas as a rapper. Sandwiched between those two he looks like a novice. In his words I just don't think he has what it takes on the mic to "be classic like Nas is." But he's probably the most sellable of the 5 at the moment.

Nevertheless this is a dope track and a creative video - I like to see them in the studio, Premier working the boards and the graff aspect is dope too. I might be way late on this but if you got beef, eat a pork chop.