Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ra-ta-tat, Make Your Neck Snap Back


I've been into mixtapes, remix albums, and mash-up for a good while now, because I think it often displays hiphop in it's most creative light. I could go on and on about Gangsta Grillz and Southern Smoke, RJD2, and Girl Talk (Which I probably will in the near future). The duo I'm focusing on today is the force to be reckoned with from New York City, Ratatat.


Ratatat is guitarist Mike Straud and synthesizer guru and producer Evan Mast. These ridonkulously talented boy-next-door looking White boys are seriously good at what they do. As 2006 came to a close, they had released 3 studio albums, all of which are solid and very entertaining to listen to. Then, last month, their fourth studio album Ratatat Remixes Vol. 2 leaked onto the internet.


I love it when that happens.


They are so on point on this album. I mean, they made Memphis Bleek sound good. Like, really good. You know, the Memphis Bleek who's boss (Jigga Man) made the claim, "Bleek can be one hit away his whole career/ as long as I'm alive, he's a millionaire." Damn, Hov is one cocky (but always honest) bastard.


But I digress, back to RATATAT. Immediately, I'm drawn in, because the cover of the album is the man, the myth, the legend, Bun-B wearing a "Ratatat" chain. I'm hooked. Standout songs are the Memphis Bleek song I previously mentioned, "Alright", the Southern classic "3 Kings" (Slim Thug, Bun-B, and TIP), and "Party & Bullshit" by The Notorious B.I.G.



It's definitely worth the buy/illegal download/however you get your fix. I guarantee you will have the beat from the Memphis Bleek remix stuck in your head for weeks (I know I have).

Also, they have a great website with tour dates, photos, and exclusive remixes.




Enjoy.

No comments: