Saturday, May 5, 2007

Give This Man His Props


One thing that's different about Bay Area radio (at least in comparison to LA) is that we support our artists. If you're ever up North, turn your dial to 106.1 and I guarantee you'll hear a multitude of local rappers that get absolutely no play outside the region, such as Turf Talk, The Federation, Frontline, San Quinn, Messy Marv, Richie Rich, Keak da Sneak, The Team, Ya Boy, and (pause for breath) the Ambassador of the Bay himself, E-40 Fonzarelli. Now I've been a fan of 40 for years, and I have great respect for his hustle, his energy and his endlessly inventive slang, but while I was in the Bay last week I was reminded of another of his talents: the guy has the ability to make any bad song enjoyable. Some E-40 purists have decried Earl's readiness to jump on any song in hopes of expanding his audience, but I for one am grateful that when a shitty song comes on the radio (ala Lil' Scrappy's "Oh Yeah") I know it'll be listenable at least for the duration of 40's cameo. Case in point is the remix of Dallas rapper Tum Tum's "Cadillac Muzik," which I was lucky enough to hear while I was ridin' in my scraper (OK, my minivan) last week.

Tum Tum - Caprice Musik (Remix) feat. E-40 & Rick Ross


Now, Caprice Musik is not a good song. Its beat is almost criminally simple, and Tum sure doesn't help anything with his nonsensical raps and background yelps. (And don't get me started about this video.) Nevertheless, when 40 jumps on the song—dare I say this—it actually gets good. Its minimalism becomes a strength, you notice that it kinda knocks with the bass up, and you find yourself hanging on 40's every word as he totally dominates the track. Then Ross comes in and you're right back at mediocrity. When you really think about it, it's a pretty remarkable phenomenon. Dude is so engaging that production becomes almost a non-issue. That's pretty crazy in a genre where the caliber of a rapper's beats can make or break his career (hold your head up, Canibus.) So if you're not gonna respect 40 for his self-made status, his commercial relevancy at age 39 (!), or his never-ending support for his region, at least give the man some credit for bringing integrity to even the wackest of songs. As commercial rap continues to go to shit, we need more rappers like 40 to soothe our suffering ears. Somebody get him on the "Lip Gloss" remix, quick!

...

Bonus: Two other garbage joints made brilliant by 40 appearances. The second one's a couple years old.

DJ Unk - 2 Step (Remix) feat. T-Pain, E-40 & Jim Jones


Trillville - I'm Pimpin' feat. E-40

2 comments:

Wordsworth the IV said...

I can't front man, I'm tired of 40. the last song he made that I enjoyed was called "hope I don't go back" or something like that. so you know how long ago that was. Used to be big into 40 and Domino and all them cats. But being a southern representative I can't help but feel like a lot of what they do in the bay is stuff we did like 4 years ago.

Anonymous said...

There's always been a certain affinity between the South and the Bay, and with good reason. Both regions were completely overlooked for years as people thought of hip-hop as only being "west coast" (meaning LA) or "East Coast." So I feel what you're saying, especially with respect to this whole hyphy movement thing. I think it has to do with hyphy being marketed as "our version of crunk," just so people will understand it. There's definitely a case to be made that it's biting the South. But I think if you really listen to 40's recent stuff you'll realize he's still his own man. And if you take the time to listen to some bay area dudes' music (Mac Dre, Messy Marv, San Quinn, Turf Talk, etc.) you'll realize that bay area hip hop is on its own thing too, both with regard to lyrics and production (check out Rick Rock and Traxxamillion.)
And I'll give you that 40's style has changed since "Hope I Don't Go Back," but you can't blame him for trying to stay relevant.