Monday, May 21, 2007

"Rap music is hurting the young...defend it Russell"



Ever since Russell Simmons released his, now best selling book, Do You! He has attended several talk shows to promote the book, to name a few: O’Reilly Factor, Real Time with Bill Maher and Anderson Cooper 360. However, it’s quite clear that no one he talks to gives a rat’s ass about his book. Every conversation he has quickly becomes a conversation surrounding Russell Simmons recently released statement that “bitch,” “hoe,” and “nigga” should be banned from the radio. The conversation, without fail, then becomes Russell Simmons having to defending rap music against a somewhat ornery host. If you have seen one of the interviews I am refereeing to, then you have seen them all. Almost all the questions are the exact same, and his responses are well thought out and predetermined.

First off, I do not envy Russell Simmons. Though he is extremely rich, and I too would like to be extremely rich, no one man should be asked to defend rap music (unless that man is super). The underlying problem with all the interviews, is an extreme lack of knowledge on the part of the host. (Analogy: Though I do not necessarily agree with our position in Iraq, am I going to grill the secretary of defense on the war. NO! Quite simply because I don’t know what the hell I am talking about--other then what I see on the news.) So, the interviewer, who doesn’t know hip-hop from hopscotch, is reflecting entirely on the rap music that is displayed on MTV, BET and “the radio.” This is an extremely small portion of hip-hop, and if I can be frank, some of the worst that hip-hop has to offer.

With that being said, does the blame not fall on: MTV, BET and “the radio.” Doesn’t the main problem have to do more with the executives who control media, then with rappers and musicians? They (media companies) are making a ton of money, at a cost to our society, by pushing certain types music… simply because sex, violence and drugs sell. Rappers can make the most violent and ridiculous music in the world, but if it doesn’t get on the TV or radio, chances are it will not have a noticeable impact on anything. So let me point a giant finger at, not the rappers, but TV and Radio… I hate you. You pollute this country with trash and filth… Stop It! (Sorry, I got a little heated while writing this)

2 comments:

ash money fiscal said...

Don't hate the game, hate the players.

Translation.

Don't hate TV and Radio, hate Clear Channel, Viacomm, News Corp and all those other evil mother fuckers too.

mr.buttercups said...

well thats pretty much what I mean by executives. they own TV and RADIO. all money! they dont care about whats good. darkness. you know what I mean.