Thursday, May 17, 2007

White man's Burden?


My man Hook's last post on R. Kelly got me thinking, why is no one talking about Jon B? Remember the white dude with the Temp fade who everyone thought was black until they saw him? My friends the question is this. Why is a child molester still relevant, and a guy who goes to the boys and girls club to volunteer, not pick up dates not?

"Cool Relax" (1997) is a record I'm sure you are all familiar with. But that was 10 years ago folks! It all went down hill after that in terms of Jon's promotion, but not the quality of work. "Love Hurts" (1999) wasn't even a blip on the radar, but many great artists are smashed by the sophomore jinx so that's expected. "Pleasures U Like"(2001) was in my opinion one of the Best R&B albums I ever heard. Much better than anything Jamie Foxx, Tyrese, T-Pain, and especially Kell's have put out recently. It was a classic R&B album, you had everything you needed. The party joints that were still smooth, and all the panty droppers you could ask for. Jon B. was the new crooner. I'm not comparing him to Sinatra, but homey was an urban cat, who was straight up unadulterated cool R&B with a hip hop flavor. Jon B. did it with class, and sang songs about love, and lust the right way. He wasn't explicit, a line many urban artists simply don't get. If you were spittin your strongest game to a chick would you say " I'm gonna stick my whole head in it" (Kell's: In luv wit a stripper remix) or " you always know that you're beautiful, but do you see the beauty I see inside you" (Jon B: Finer Things) this track actually featured Nas, take a listen here.

"Stronger Everyday" (2004) his 3rd album can stand alone as a solid project as well. It's clear to me that for the last 10 years when I got a Jon B album I knew what I was getting. Quality music, no more no less. I always knew I would love it when I bought it, and would still love it years later. Jon b. is like going to Mickey D's at 3am. It does the job, and leaves you satisfied at the end of the night. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. Kell's is not so consistent and reminds me more of a dirty Chinese restaurant. It's a real roll of the dice. Yea it might have tasted good at first , and it may not be today, or even tomorrow. But eventually your gonna pay out the ass for giving him your business. Which leaves you asking the question was I really even that hungry in the first place?

Unlike Jon B, When it comes to Kelly I really just don't know what to expect at this point. Like I wouldn't be surprised if I heard he tore down a set at the grammy's, or just starred in a German shiza video. I liked the "make it rain remix", and as usual Kelly's verse is fire. But after hearing The Pied Piper talk about how he was " the weatherman" and he was gonna "make it rain" on me, I suddenly found myself in the fetal position shaking with a copy of The Source over my head for protection (I new it was good for something). Then when I thought it was safe to come out, I felt compelled to take bath made of holy water. Literally after hearing certain lines I inevitably ask someone shouldnt he be in jail or something, house arrest, or quarantined? shit this negro must be stopped.

I'm so confident in Jon's work that I challenge you to go out and buy it, and if you don't like it I will reimburse you. For those of you who know me I'm sure this statement comes as a surprise. You should also remember I am a cheater. I only bet when the dice are loaded, the deck is stacked, and I know I can't lose. Secondly, and most importantly I forgot to mention that when I say reimburse, I mean I will pay for approx. 1/10 of the sales tax you feel like you got jipped. Go get the Albums, happy listening.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

I like "Cool Relax" very much though it was 10 years ago folks! Not everyone in the world like the new things but good things. Many friends of mine on EbonyFriends like it still and forever.

Anonymous said...

Nice post man, even though you shit on my boy haha. I don't know though, when I wanna spit some game at a female, "Let's go half on a baby" seems to work pretty well. Thanks again, Kells.