Friday, May 18, 2007

Madlib & Talib Kweli - Liberation



Just bought a new CD. The CD was released for free on the internet at the beginning of 2007, but was taken off a week later, and I missed out. I wanted to hear it and having no problem supporting the duo, I couldn’t resist buying it. Several hours later, I was not disappointed. Liberation displays the best that both Talib Kweli and Madlib have to offer. Madlib, who I consider one of the best producers in hip-hop, provides a perfect pallet for Talib’s flow. Though the CD is only has 9 songs, it is not filled with annoying interludes or skits, and there are no filler songs that suck. This is one of the best pure hip-hop CD’s I have heard in a long time, and I highly recommend finagling one at any cost. My only complaint would be the quality of vocals. It sounds as though it was made in a bathroom, and very well might have been. But I quickly got over that. One of my favorite tracks after the first listen is “Engine Running” featuring Consequence.

After listening to this CD, I got to thinking. Why don’t more great producers from different background hook up with the best MC’s in the biz to combine there talents and create great music on an entire CD’s. It worked for Gnarles Barkley, Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek, Jaylib, Dangerdoom, (and many more) all of which are quality and unique CD’s. I much rather listen to a CD with the consistent feel of one producer, rather then 3-6.

1 comment:

ash money fiscal said...

The answer to your last question is simple. Money. Dinero. You know, the green stuff. While several 'dream team' type duos have been done in the last few years, none of them have been superstar producers like a Pharrell, a Kanye, or a Timbaland.

How awkward would a Madlib/Ludacris album sound, or a Timbaland/MF DOOM record? While both of those make my mouth water, they probably don't do the same for music marketers. It'll probably take one smash hit record to make it a commercially safe concept. Maybe Gnarls was just that--or maybe not, considering that many would not consider St. Elsewhere a hip-hop record, and most of the people who bought the record probably had never heard of Cee-Lo before.